Our Family
 Genealogy Pages

 Emu Pains Cemetery, Emu Plains, New South Wales, Australia


Latitude: -33.74917872762981, Longitude: 150.6589239835739
Emu Pains Cemetery

Notes:
The foundation stone for the Anglican Church at Emu Plains was laid in 1848. Unfortunately, a disastrous bushfire in 1929 burnt down the Rectory and many of the Church records were destroyed along with it, and there was a great reliance on the inscriptions on memorials and tombstones in place at the time to 'rebuild' the burial records.

Sometime after the completion of the Nepean River bridge and railway in 1867, other denominational sections were established. Part of the cemetery site stand over the site of the prison quarters and kitchen garden of the 1819 government farm.

The Local History Section of Penrith Library can be visited for more information about the history of the cemetery.

In 1967 management of the cemetery became the responsibility of Penrith City Council. During a period in the 1970's and 1980's, many hundreds of public burials occurred in the cemetery.